The Rose is thrilled to introduce Anthony Suarez, the butcher and meat expert behind the new Commissary at The Rose! Here are a few things you need to know about him:
- Anthony was raised in Miami and spent his summers in Los Angeles.
- He dropped out of college at 21 after visiting his friend in New York. Boarding the plane for a two-week vacation with a duffle bag and only $200, he ended up staying there for 8 years.
- His career in the food industry began as a line cook in New York. After realizing he did not enjoy being a line cook, he started his career in butchery at The Meat Hook in Brooklyn.
- His stage name “Tony Miami,” was given to him by Meat Hook owner Ben Turley during his first day on the job. The nickname stuck and even appears in his Instagram handle @tonymiami_official.
- His butchering mantra since his early days of curing and fermentation self-education is “salt and patience.”
- He approaches butchery as “solving a puzzle in reverse,” and is always striving to find the best techniques for butchering.
- He previously helped open Standing’s Butchery in Hollywood in November 2017, where he sold wildly creative sausage flavors such as Chile con Carne, Vanilla Lavender, and Pastrami on Rye.
- When he first moved to LA, Chef Jason Neroni hired him for a few months at The Rose before he started his job at The Cannibal.
- Radicchio Provolone, one of his favorite sausages he makes, was inspired by a suckling pig dish he had eaten at The Rose during his first stint there.
Visit us at The Rose soon to get a taste of what Tony Miami is cooking and curing up.